369

I fail to see how happiness is contingent on virtue or moral rectitude. Being virtuous does not preclude a person from the often random, uncontrollable, and seemingly unjust nature of the world that surrounds us. For example: being a virtuous person does not stop robbery of my home, which by common sense and sentiment, would lead to me being unhappy. I also see how wisdom is virtue. Virtue, by its very nature, is subjective, and by extension, so is wisdom. I have yet to find truth with a capital "T," settling instead for the facts set forth by science. A lot of statements are folly, in-so-far, as that a person in a state of pleasure / contentment / joy is happy and not necessarily wise.

Pain of knowing the truth, which obviously hurts in many cases. All life is sorrowful, embracing that is not happiness. I do not have evidence nor experience to confirm or deny the existence of an ever lasting happiness. The same cannot be said for the opposite. I only know, limited and incomplete as it is, of this life and of this world. Ephemeral happiness is the only happiness that can be known, if there's any.

Knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight. Wisdom and virtue are two separate ideas. While they may include each other that are not necessarily inclusive of each other. A wise man can still be a very unhappy one.

The way I interpret "enduring" or "true" happiness is in the form of people talking about some form of after life, of which I know nothing. I have yet to meet anyone who is "enduringly" or "truly" happy. For me, to achieve "enduring" or "true" happiness the consequences of death and of a material being in a material world would have to be removed. Once again I cannot conceptualize, let alone experience what that would be like.

There are many circumstances in life where happiness is not only the wrong response but also where the expectation of happiness as a response will put youthe person attempting to be happyin absolutely the wrong psychological state to be prepared for what must be done.